If you like your feminist existentialism quiet, odd and darkly funny then look no further. This slim novel takes place in an undetermined time and is narrated by Vitória, a cleaner in an art gallery who stares at the paintings and dreams of a creative life. When her circumstances do eventually change, it becomes apparent that financial freedom does not equate with personal freedom and that there are many other types of labour. Precise in prose and strong in atmosphere, this book will stay with you long after you’ve put it down.
A skilful debut with a lot of heart, Rainbow Milk is a novel adapted from autobiography. It spans the narrator Jesse’s trajectory from a stifling childhood in a Jehovah’s Witness community, coming out as gay and his subsequent estrangement from his family, through to his experiences as a sex worker and waiter as he carves out his path in London searching through sex and drugs, eventually finding his people and the belonging that was lacking in his family. The story begins 50 years earlier with his grandparent’s arrival on the Windrush, clearly showing the traumatic repercussions across generations where hopes for a better life are met with a hostile reception; this doesn’t change for Jesse decades later as a gay black man in white spaces. Mendez brilliantly writes Jamaican patois and Black Country dialect into the dialogue and peppers the narrative with pop culture and music references which make the reading experience truly immersive. This is a stunning rollercoaster of a story about self-discovery through faith, race, sexuality and ultimately love. Highly recommended 🌈 🥛 🖤
Published by Dialogue Books on 23 April 2020
We’re very happy to tell you that as of tomorrow, Wednesday 15th July we will be open again 7 days a week for browsing! We can’t wait to see you!
There will be a few changes:
- We’ll be allowing 2 people in the shop at a time after hand sanitizing at the door. If you see there are already 2 people inside, please wait for a short time on the bench outside and we’ll do our best to serve those inside the shop quickly.
- Please use the hand sanitizer as you enter the shop which means you can then pick up and browse the books.
- Please wear a face mask when inside the shop, as you know the space is very small and it means everyone can browse safely.
- Our new opening hours are noon to 6pm every day.
- If you know what you’re looking for and don’t want to browse, you can still order online for collection and avoid the queue. If you don’t find what you’re looking for, please email us for availability.
- We’ll be operating a one-way system inside the shop – please follow the arrows and make your way clockwise round the centre table. If you’re collecting a pre-paid order, please come straight to the till.
- We’ve installed screens around the till area and made more space to move within the shop, this is to help protect staff and customers.
- Sadly the second hand basement will be closed to customers but you can check out/purchase Patrick’s second hand books on his Instagram.
- For now we can only accept contactless card payments, no cash please.
- If you can’t make it to the shop at the moment, we’re continuing our home delivery service if you order online we will still deliver by bike or post!
Many thanks for your continued support. We can’t wait to see you in person!
Jo, Eleanor, Isaura, Ollie & Pema xxx